Tuesday, January 15, 2013

The Artist at the Renaissance Festival

This photo's been kicking around my computer for a while, couldn't really decide what direction to take it -- color, black and white, texture? I was at a loss. The image was taken at the Texas Renaissance Festival in November. We'd seen this fellow sketching the Gypsy Dancers when we were taking their photos. Later in the day, Doug, Brock and I approached him and asked if he'd pose for a couple of portraits. Really nice guy. He was sketching the dancers for a book he's working on. Found out he was from Seguin, Texas -- where I went to college. I think I may have been the last of our group to take his photo. I think Doug was holding the light, and maybe it's the fact that we've done this a few times, but Doug immediately dropped the light down to get it under the brim of his hat, and I figured I'd frame it tight and hope that the late afternoon light and the separation from the background might give a natural vignette. And it did. Ended up touching up a few light spots in the background, kept it color (I'm still not in love with the green), and added a really slight texture to the edge to make it a bit more organic. Finals were 1/125 sec at f/5.3, 92mm, light from an SB900 in a Photoflex softbox from low camera left.

No comments:

Post a Comment