Monday, March 8, 2010

Great Egret

Here's another photo from the same location as the previous two posts of the pelican. This great egret was actually there first, but the pelicans ran him off pretty quickly. When I first came to this location I noticed there was a palm tree overhead, which caused some dappled light. And whenever I run into that, it never fails that the shadows and highlights fall exactly where I don't want them. In this case, however, the highlight fell right across the egret's head and shoulders. No flash or Photoshop here. This is all natural light. I also thought it was a bit early for the egret to have breeding plumage, and with the wind that day, it added a little visual kick at the bottom. Nikon D200, 200mm, 1/4000 sec at f/4.

2 comments:

  1. The thing I like about this one: great use of depth of field to separate the subject/background, details within the bird and the natural lighting on the bird that includes some mild shadows. Background is great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job Steve. I love the way the natural light falls across the bird. Sweet background too.

    ReplyDelete