Monday, June 29, 2009

Monticello Garden Pavillion

I'm still going through photos from the DC trip. This one was taken along Mulberry Row between the formal gardens and the slave dwellings at Monticello. I thought there was a photo here, but the more I look at it the more I wish I would have gotten lower on this shot, almost eye level with the fence leading line. I can see a shot composed of fence, pavillion, hill, and sky -- and it being much better than what's shown here. But why didn't I see it then? Frustrating.
Black and white conversion was done with Nik Silver Efex; sloppy edge added with Kevin Kubota's Sloppy Edges Pack; bad vantage point and the curse of being tall and not thinking to shoot low to high provided by yours truly.

3 comments:

  1. Do you think by getting lower that you may taken the diagonal effect of the lower trellises out of the picture? I'm thinking you also may have gotten more sky than you would have liked.

    I like the B&W treatment. It was the right way to go with this one. Nice shot.

    DHaass

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't be too hard on yourself.. it still is a great image. Lower and back to the right a little more could have been an interesting look. I still like it and love it B&W.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's funny, Steve! I cannot recall how many times I wish I had a ladder to take the vantage point from "on high"!

    ReplyDelete