Thursday, June 18, 2009

Houston Zoo #1

A couple of weeks ago, the Houston Zoo hosted their second Photography Day -- where local photographers could get into the zoo a couple of hours before it opened to the public. I missed their first Photo Day in February, so I decided to go to this one, and honestly I had mixed emotions about photographing in a zoo. I've always found it more satisfying photographically to shoot in the wild, where you take what nature provides. But I have to admit it was nice to have such great access to the animals. The photo above was taken through plexiglass, 1/500 sec at f/5 at 400mm on a tripod. I was just about ready to give up on this lion laying in the sun, when he suddenly raised his head, and I fired off about 6 shots. This image is pretty much straight out of camera -- just some sharpening and vignetting were added.

1 comment:

  1. Really nice profile photo with great lighting on him. I think your vingetting really makes him pop from the rest of the image.

    ReplyDelete